10 Popular Types of medical software programs
Everything You Wanted to Know About 10 Popular Types of medical software programs
The healthcare industry has much to benefit from digital transformation. By introducing compelling software, doctors enjoy more comfortable workloads while patients get the convenience of at-home healthcare services.
Today, the healthcare industry is exposed to various standard and custom healthcare software programs, and the outlook is positive. In this article, we will look in-depth at 10 types of healthcare software and their advantages.
Electronic Health Records (EHR)
EHRs are one of the most popular software used in healthcare facilities. The software collects and stores patient information such as :
- medical history,
- immunization dates,
- treatment plans,
- radiology images, as well as
- laboratory and test results.
EHRs provide access to various evidence-based tools, which can be used to make patient care decisions. The software can also streamline and computerize the workflow of the healthcare provider (1).
“EHRs are real-time, patient-centered records that make information available instantly and securely to authorized users. While an EHR does contain the medical and treatment histories of patients, an EHR system is built to go beyond standard clinical data collected in a provider’s office and can be inclusive of a broader view of a patient’s care.”
– Health IT
With an EHR, authorized providers can create and manage health information in a digital format. This makes the info sharable amongst other authorized providers at various healthcare facilities. They are built on sharing information amongst other healthcare providers/organizations, like laboratories, specialists, medical imaging facilities, pharmacies, emergency facilities, and school and workplace clinics.
Electronic Patient Record Software(EPRs) and Electronic Medical Record Software (EMRs) are the two most popular types of EHRs. EPRs are used in hospitals to store patient information. EMRs are used to store medication information,
Advantages of EHRs
EHRs improve patient care while enhancing the organization. EHRs have the following advantages,
- Allow efficient and quick access to patient records.
- Provide complete, up-to-date, and accurate patient healthcare information.
- Allow the sharing of information with patients and other healthcare organizations.
- Aid health care providers in providing diagnoses and reducing medical faults.
- Improve the communication between patients and health care providers.
- Allow for more reliable prescriptions.
- Improves healthcare provider productivity and workload.
Medical imaging is also known as radiology. With medical imaging software, healthcare professionals can recreate various images of body parts for diagnostic or treatment purposes. The procedures involved include some non-invasive tests that allow doctors to diagnose patients’ injuries and other diseases. Different forms of medical imaging include x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound, tactile imaging, and computerized tomography or CT scans.
Medical imaging technologies are used by radiographers, otherwise known as medical imaging technologists or radiology technologists. They administered medical imaging procedures. These individuals are well-trained in universities and have excellent knowledge of the human body and how it is affected by various diseases and injuries (2).
“The technology used in diagnostic imaging is not used for diagnosis purposes only. Diagnostic imaging benefits not just patients but also healthcare providers. Medical imaging guides doctors in surgery for improved precision and accuracy.”
– Independent Imaging
Importance of medical imaging
Medical imaging software enables doctors to assess patients’ internal structures. This includes bones, organs, tissues, and blood vessels through non-invasive methods. The procedure allows doctors to determine whether surgery is needed or other forms of treatment. They also helped doctors locate tumors, blood clots, and other significant blockages for treatment and possibly removal. They can also assist doctors who are dealing with joint replacements as well as other treatments for fractures.
Medical imaging improves diagnosis as well as treatment by reducing guesswork. This allows for accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The use of telemedicine software blew up during the COVID-19 pandemic when face-to-face doctor’s appointments were not particularly possible. Though its use has dropped since this pandemic, the software is not going anywhere anytime soon. There are various telemedicine apps and services available.
Telemedicine software is a platform that provides remote medical care. The software allows physicians to treat patients whenever needed and wherever they are. These physicians and patients can communicate through video, audio, and in-app text messages. It has increased the convenience and safety of getting access to medical assistance (3).
“If a medical facility offers telemedicine options, a patient only needs an internet connection and a smartphone or computer to access healthcare services. The most common types of telemedicine services include: virtual appointments and patient portal.”
– Ruby Garage
Today, telemedicine is utilized in the following ways:
- For routine follow-up visits – These visits are held online as they do not require on-site diagnostics. This saves the patient as well as the health care provider’s time.
- Preventive care support is for patients wanting to lose weight, follow better nutrition plans, etc.
- Post-hospitalization care – Telemedicine software reduces hospital readmissions by providing remote patient assistance after the patient’s discharge.
- Assisted living center support – doctors on call help determine the need for hospitalization before the patient visits the facility.
- School telemedicine – Telemedicine services assess the urgency of an ill child. The software services then instruct the parent or guardian on the following steps.
Benefits of Telemedicine to patients and providers
- Patients can receive medical assistance in instances where on-site visits are impossible.
- The wait time to see a doctor over telemedicine software is significantly shorter than in-person doctor’s appointments.
- Patients do not have to spend their time or money traveling to a healthcare facility.
- Virtual medical guidance costs considerably less than on-site doctor’s visits.
- There is no risk of sitting in a room with other sick and possibly contagious patients.
- Providers can make more revenue due to their ability to see more patients in one day.
- The operating costs reduce significantly as appointments take less time, and no staff or office space is required.
- Office efficiency improves as the patients not needing on-site care can be moved on to remote care. This optimizes workloads within the facility.
- Virtual appointments are very convenient which means fewer missed appointments and fewer cancellations.
Hospital Management Systems (HMS)
Hospital management systems help to improve efficiency and job completion within the healthcare industry. They also help healthcare providers manage information related to their patients. A healthcare management system collects data from the clinical financial laboratory, inpatient, outpatient operation theatre, material, nursing, pharmaceutical, radiology, pathology departments, and beyond. Interested in building your own? developing a system this big will also require software engineering, check out more here.
Hospital management systems are essential to healthcare organizations as they offer the ability to manage all of the organization’s paperwork in one place. This lessens the workload on staff as they can save time arranging and analyzing patient paperwork (4).
“HMS not only saves time in the hospital but also is cost-effective in decreasing the number of people working on the system of manual entry of data and paperwork. The implementation of HMS will decrease the human intervention into the system thereby avoiding human-caused errors.”
– Moc Doc
Hospital management systems:
- Store patients’ medical records
- Stop patients’ contact details.
- Keep track of patient appointments.
- Save patients’ insurance data.
- Track bill payments
Advantages of Hospital management systems
Hospital management systems have the following advantages. They:
- Save time for both patients and healthcare providers.
- Improve work efficiency.
- Reduce the number of errors.
- Allow data security and correct data retrieval.
- Easy to manage and cost less.
- Improve patient care.
- Offer better or did controls and policy compliance.
Healthcare CRM Software
Health customer relationship (CRM) software assists healthcare professionals and healthcare facilities in gaining new patients. It also aids in improving communication between healthcare providers and the existing patients of the facility. This allows patients to participate in healthcare, especially when selecting a provider.
The software aims to computerize customer service and market processes. When looking for the perfect CRM software product, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the software well integrated with back-office systems?
- Will the software be able to support the size of your practice?
- Does the vendor have customized features to meet your specialty’s needs?
Advantages of health CRM software
- Health customer relationship software reduces waiting time in healthcare facilities. Healthcare professionals can access all patient profiles and medical histories with only a few clicks. This means that medical professionals can make quick diagnoses, etc.
- Patients sometimes forget appointments and medications, and health CRM software allows healthcare professionals to set up proper schedules. This enables them to be more in touch with patients about appointments and medical check-ups. It also reduces conflict between healthcare providers and patients.
- CRM aids in the management of patient information and data. All hospitals, big or small, receive patients in their thousands, meaning many records to organize and store. Mistakes are bound to happen if such are taken care of by humans. CRM frameworks allow for the convenient recording of patient data.
- CRMs improve work processes and administration work. They can optimize business practices, such as knowing what to purchase and what quantities. This helps healthcare facilities and providers avoid oversupply and deficiencies in the organization. They also make it easier to track patient medicine intake information.
- CRMs improve healthcare delivery efficiency. CRMs in healthcare also enhance the delivery of services. With such software at hand, doctors can give patients all the information they need at a faster pace.
E-prescription software allows healthcare providers to enter prescription information into a computer and securely transmit this information to pharmacies. Upon receiving the request, the pharmacy can commence filing the medication promptly (5).
“The system uses standard drug dictionaries and requests to fill in required information about the drug without ordering a prescription. Therefore, E-Prescription software saves considerable time to both prescribers and patients.”
– Tiga Health
Advantages of E-prescription software
- The software comes with an allergy and drug interaction notification. This informs prescribers about any patient allergies and drug interactions. It also tells the prescribers of any pregnant patients and other issues to bear in mind when filing prescription medication.
- E-prescription software enables prescribers and pharmacists to have certainty of the medication they are giving to the patient. This means fewer errors.
- Paper prescriptions are often easy to misplace, meaning they must be rewritten. This increases the workload for healthcare professionals. The prescription on a computer decreases its chances of being lost.
Appointment Booking Software
Appointment booking software makes providing high-quality care easy and convenient. It allows patients to book and request appointments over the Internet. It only takes a few clicks, and an appointment is booked. It’s one of the most popular software used by healthcare providers. This software comes with various benefits, and we’ve listed some below:
- Just as with other previously mentioned software, this software increases the volume of patients by making healthcare processes easier for patients and healthcare providers. People are less willing to make bookings over phone calls. On the other hand, phone calls are time-consuming for healthcare providers. It also helps shy patients who prefer to keep to themselves about their problems.
- Healthcare organizations are likelier to fill all empty appointment slots with online scheduling. This means more revenue for healthcare facilities and providers. This also opens up the opportunity for patients to make same-day or next-day bookings. Patients are more satisfied as they choose an appointment slot comfortable for them.
- Patients no longer have to wait for office hours to make appointment bookings, they can do so as soon as they feel the need to. Patients can log into the facility’s website anytime and make appointments. This is more flexible for the patient who may need more time to make the appointment at certain times of the day.
- Online appointment booking systems allow for easier management of patient information. Some appointment scheduling software allows for the storing and managing of patient healthcare records.
Health Tracking Apps
Health tracking apps can help healthcare organizations provide a better quality of services. Recently health tracking apps have become famous for changing the healthcare environment. They are much needed in recent times as they can enhance efficiency, communication, and patient care quality.
Health tracking apps can be downloaded on any smartphone or tablet device. These apps hold the potential to enhance healthcare providers’ productivity as well as patient health outcomes.
Advantages of health tracking apps
- Health tracking apps allow for improved patient engagement. Quality care is especially important for patients. These apps allow engagement through effective patient-focused care, personalized patient experiences, and customized knowledge sharing between providers and patients. Patients can access as well as observe their medical records. They can also monitor the prescription details from the comfort of their home without going to the hospital.
- Health tracking apps reduce the risk of the wrong diagnosis. The manual management of patient records increases the risk of human error and is time-consuming. Health tracking apps help minimize such. The app helps to store accurate reports of the patient’s health condition. This improves the organization’s efficiency by allowing doctors to prescribe patients with the correct prescriptions and dosages. This stored information also comes in handy when a patient changes healthcare facility.
- Unlike having to speak with a doctor over the phone, which usually takes time and may not go through due to the doctor being busy, online health tracking apps make it simple and secure for patients to be in contact with doctors, book appointments and send messages to healthcare providers any time of the day and any day of the week.
- With health tracking apps, patients do not have to suffer waiting in long queues for long hours as payments are much quicker and more efficient. Payments are made instantly and securely with just a few clicks. These apps also allow customers to choose their preferred method of payment.
Clinical trial management software
Clinical trial management systems are systems of record for study data which can also be shared amongst other systems. Typically clinical trial management systems share information with a business intelligence system. By computerizing processes, a clinical trial management system allows for better access to clinical trial information.
Benefits of clinical trial management software
- They allow access to accurate study information. This allows medical professionals to make thoughtful decisions as well as overcome any mishaps that may occur. It is difficult always to have high-level information that is up to date. This is why clinical trial management systems and software are becoming wildly popular.
This software takes away the struggle of having to maintain a roster. This software provides healthcare professionals with complete transparency and access to study information. This allows them and their team to boost performance and make well-thought-out decisions. This software
- This software lets you brief some of your team members about the study. This software allows your team members to work as a unit and provide support on one task. You can study startups, collaborate, access updated information, and track all progress.
- Humans are bound to make errors, especially when managing multiple things. This can have an impact on the studies and their outcomes. All information must be correct in the healthcare industry as patients could suffer from Miss information. Clinical trial management software allows for storing accurate data, which means less opportunity for errors.
Mobile health (mHealth) apps
Mobile health apps have various benefits and use. Mobile health technology integrates healthcare into mobile devices (6).
“A cheaper and faster diagnosis is the biggest advantage of mobile health, but there are several others. mHealth apps have significantly improved the quality and approach toward healthcare services. The market for mHealth apps is fast evolving with dynamic options for caregivers and patients’ convenience.”
– OSP Labs
Below we have listed some services of mobile healthcare apps
- Patient and doctor meetings are no longer limited to in-person appointments or bookings. This is thanks to mobile healthcare apps and efficient healthcare management. More frequent patient and doctor interactions can be organized through the app.
- mHealth apps allow for the constant monitoring and observation of patients. This is especially helpful for patients with chronic illnesses who need continuous monitoring. Any changes in these patients can be noticed as soon as possible.
- Mobile health apps come in handy when dealing with a multitude of paperwork. Healthcare facilities no longer have to store data manually, which saves time and allows them to focus on patients. Medical information is accessible and secure on the mobile healthcare app.
- Mobile health apps allow patients to monitor their health and reduce the workload on HealthCare providers. The app offers features such as an oximeter, sugar testing, activity level measures, etc.
Personal health record software
A personal health record collects information about a patient’s health. Unique health record software focuses on observing and monitoring diseases. They allow patients to submit regular updates. They do this through diary entries that provide helpful information to their healthcare providers. An example of this kind of software is Tulipa which allows patients with Parkinson’s disease to track their condition and give insights to their healthcare provider.
Benefits of Personal Health Record Software
This software allows patients to manage their health in-between doctor’s appointments and healthcare facility visits. Personal record software will enable you to:
- Keep track of your health between visits.
- Prepare for on-site doctor’s appointments.
- Keep track of appointments, etc.
Remote Patient Monitoring (RPM)
Remote patient monitoring programs can be used in treating patients with chronic and acute conditions. This allows healthcare providers to observe patients who cannot come in for on-site care. Remote patient monitoring can be beneficial for people needing constant monitoring, such as those with chronic illnesses. Healthcare providers can observe the patients as often as needed, gather much-needed data, and make necessary adjustments to aid a desirable outcome. This is helpful for patients with ailments such as:
- heart conditions,
- Mental illness, etc.
One category of remote patient monitoring programs requires devices such as blood pressure monitors, heart monitors, specialized monitors for dementia and Parkinson’s disease, weight scales, pulse oximeters, and blood glucose meters.
Benefits of RPM’s
Remote patient monitoring benefits patients and healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, caregivers, etc.). Below we look at some of the benefits of remote patient monitoring.
- Remote patient monitoring improves providers’ clinical insights into their patients’ statuses between on-site visits. RPMs allow healthcare providers to monitor changes in patients constantly. This will enable them to make necessary adjustments as needed.
- Remote patient monitoring provides patients with easy-to-use tools to manage their condition.
- Remote patient monitoring has had a significant impact in reducing unnecessary hospital admissions and readmissions. It reduces the high costs of inpatient services by moving the appropriate levels of chronic care monitoring into the facility.
- It reduces cost and increases net patient revenue as virtual patient assistance costs less than on-sight assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions About 10 Popular Types of medical software programs
What is the Best Medical Software?
There are various medical software options on the market. The choice you make will depend solely on your needs and preferences. We have, however, listed some top contenders below:
This medical software is best for independent practices. The platform allows onboarding training as well as support. Users can enter their specialty and find solutions best suited to them. The software has various products available such as:
- Kareo is a cloud-based electronic health record platform. It helps clinic healthcare providers manage patients, write prescriptions, and many other healthcare services.
- Kareo engagement enhances patient experience. It helps healthcare practices build their brand, connect with various patients, and capture insurance. As a part of patient communication Kareo has multiple scheduling options, surveys, reminders, and patient intakes. The software allows patients to review healthcare providers.
DrChrono is an Electronic Health Records software. It manages medical billing, practice management, and electronic medical records. The software offers various features such as:
- Appointment Management
- Billing Management
- Clinical Workflow
- Document Management
- EM Coding
- Insurance and Claims
- Lab Integration
- Medical Templates
- Patient Demographics
Athena Health improves efficiency in healthcare and allows patients to enjoy the best service delivery. The software has features such as:
- Appointment Management
- Billing Management
- Clinical Workflow
- Document Management
- Lab Integration
- Medical Templates
- Patient History
- Patient Portal
- Reporting and Analytics
- Voice Recognition
What Kind of Software do Doctors Use?
Electronic health records are the most used software by medical professionals. As mentioned, HR reduces the risk of data replication and losing vital information and essential data about a person’s health. EHRs are also cost-efficient compared to more physical records such as paper.
Healthcare software programming (https://sonatafy.com/healthcare-programming/) has made it much more efficient for healthcare providers to perform daily tasks. We also cannot overlook how much this also aids the patients as they get quality services throughout. Healthcare software has a revolution iced tea healthcare industry, and as the years go by, we look forward to even more advancements in software.
- EHRs are real-time, patient-centered records that make information available instantly and securely to authorized users. While an EHR does contain the medical and treatment histories of patients, an EHR system is built to go beyond standard clinical data collected in a provider’s office and can be inclusive of a broader view of a patient’s care.– Health IT Quote
- The technology used in diagnostic imaging is not used for diagnosis purposes only. Diagnostic imaging benefits not just patients but also healthcare providers. Medical imaging guides doctors in surgery for improved precision and accuracy. – Independent Imaging Quote
- If a medical facility offers telemedicine options, a patient only needs an internet connection and a smartphone or computer to access healthcare services. The most common types of telemedicine services include: virtual appointments and patient portal. – Ruby Garage Quote
- HMS not only saves time in the hospital but also is cost-effective in decreasing the number of people working on the system of manual entry of data and paperwork. The implementation of HMS will decrease the human intervention into the system thereby avoiding human-caused errors. –Moc Doc Quote
- The system uses standard drug dictionaries and requests to fill in required information about the drug without ordering a prescription. Therefore, E-Prescription software saves considerable time to both prescribers and patients. – Tiga Health Quote
- A cheaper and faster diagnosis is the biggest advantage of mobile health, but there are several others. mHealth apps have significantly improved the quality and approach toward healthcare services. The market for mHealth apps is fast evolving with dynamic options for caregivers and patients’ convenience. – OSP Labs Quote